Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Leaving Africa

















It is my last day in Africa for at least a couple of years, until the World Cup maybe, and I am more proud than a soccer mom to report that other than a couple mild head colds and occasions of soft stool I have remained illness free for my three months here. I want to give a big thanks to my stomach who endured so much but kept its cool all the while.

So of course there is much to be taken from my visit. But, all I am prepared to say at the moment is I have had some deliciously memorable encounters, none to them too painful. People, in general, are perspiring with beauty, almost against their wills, and in the last three months I have been privy to a lot of that beauty, unpracticed as it may be.

My final days here in Kampala have been relaxed and enjoyable, spending some time with the friends I made and hanging out at bars. I finally came around to this city a little bit. There is a lot here to be discovered and if you are into Mad Max it makes it quite a bit easier to settle down. On an unfortunate note I never made it to the expat bars.

With regards to my the international car of the future efforts the student I was working with gave me one of the most detailed and thorough reports ever that applies directly to the work I will be doing in Belgium helping a student team at the University of Leuven build an electric car. Unfortunately I was not able to assist the team here much.

Big day for us all anyways. Election time. I will be in a plane or at an airport when the world learns if America (dont they mean the USA?) will elect a liberal black man to redeem itself for the recent years of being a global does whatever it wants. Thats a pulpy breakdown at least. My views on the subject are too wierd to put into writing so Ill leave it to your imagination. I wish I were here in East Africa when Obama wins (it looks like he is going to win doesnt it). I can imagine the party lasting for weeks. Of course, if Obama doesnt win it might be a good thing for me to be gone.

I wont be voting. It was just too complicated for me to anticipate. As a Californian, it doesnt mean much for the presidency anyways, but I will be sorely missing the opportunity to vote on referendums and measures to give free hybrid SUVs to all the yuppies in silicon valley and employ me when I return, to specifically define marriage as ungay, and for some animal rights.

When I pop my head up next Ill be enjoying the culture shock of paved roads, and the imaculate combination of chewey bread, creamy stinky cheese, and good wine or maybe beer. Western world here I come.

No comments: